Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports/Western Field SB-100B

Hi Sid, I saw one of your answers to a question about this shot gun. I have one given to me by my dad when I was 13 years old. That would have been 1967 (Christmas gift). The last I saw of it was when I left home for college in 1971. I had assumed my mom got rid of it at some point. She is now 91 and, on my last visit to her, she mentioned it. I was stunned. She had it tied up in an old blanket. I now have it again. It needs some work---a bit of rust on the outside of the barrel, etc., but it looks, overall, to be in OK shape considering it is now 48 years old and not cared for a lick since '71. From one of your previous answers I see that this gun was made by savage for Montgomery Wards. My question is: Can any good gunsmith refurbish this gun or is there a specialist you would recommend? Thanks!

Hello Tony.
  I would recommend checking with Midway, USA. They have several of the best videos on this subject. You can do it yourself. Any qualified gunsmith can clean up and re-blue, or re-finish the metal parts. I'm sure you can have it done by Christmas this year.
  Thank you for asking for me. Charles Gage

Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports

Charles Gage

I can answer questions dealing with firearms and their development due to western expansion. I can answer most questions about any firearms of the world manufactured after the Civil War(1868 - present. I can offer safety warnings about these. I can offer opinions and the reasons behind these. I can also answer questions about Iver Johnson firearms. I can identify by pictures most firearms. If your question involves a firearm you have access to, please include a good quality photo with your question.

I have been at the study of firearms and their use since my first issue of Field and Stream in 1962.At that time I was completely devoted to rifles, but over the years I have experienced the thrill of the hunt with handguns, shotguns and of course rifles. I moved from Oklahoma to New Mexico in 1972 and, since, I have taken numerous game and non-game animals with all firearms (cannons excluded)including blackpowder muzzleloading rifles,shotguns and handguns. My favorite handgun for large non-game animals, such as feral hogs, is my Uberti replica of a 1847 Colt Walker. Very heavy, but accurate.

I am a 1973 high school graduate. Junior and senior year I developed a class on Wildlife Depredation and Conservation of our Rocky Mountain states. My specialty was the brown bear.

New Mexico Hunter Safety Program Instructor 15 year award.