Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports/essex rifle

My dad has a rifle that we are trying to find some more information about. It has "ESSEX" and "22 long rifle" on the barrel. He said it has a "closed site" at the end of the barrel. Is there any information you can give us on this item, MFG?, origin, actual amount of rifles made, etc?

Hello Karen.
  You rifle was most likely manufactured by J. Steven between 1900 and 1919. It may have been manufactured for the Belknap Hardware Company with their choice of name (Essex)stamped on the barrel. However, I don't find any with reference to a 'hooded' front site. If so, it would have been manufactured in an unknown quantity. The value of  one in good condition would be in the $75 to $100 range. If you could post a picture of the rifle for me, I may be able to find more information for you. Thanks for asking for me. Charles Gage

Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports

Charles Gage

I can answer questions dealing with firearms and their development due to western expansion. I can answer most questions about any firearms of the world manufactured after the Civil War(1868 - present. I can offer safety warnings about these. I can offer opinions and the reasons behind these. I can also answer questions about Iver Johnson firearms. I can identify by pictures most firearms. If your question involves a firearm you have access to, please include a good quality photo with your question.

I have been at the study of firearms and their use since my first issue of Field and Stream in 1962.At that time I was completely devoted to rifles, but over the years I have experienced the thrill of the hunt with handguns, shotguns and of course rifles. I moved from Oklahoma to New Mexico in 1972 and, since, I have taken numerous game and non-game animals with all firearms (cannons excluded)including blackpowder muzzleloading rifles,shotguns and handguns. My favorite handgun for large non-game animals, such as feral hogs, is my Uberti replica of a 1847 Colt Walker. Very heavy, but accurate.

I am a 1973 high school graduate. Junior and senior year I developed a class on Wildlife Depredation and Conservation of our Rocky Mountain states. My specialty was the brown bear.

New Mexico Hunter Safety Program Instructor 15 year award.