You are here:

Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports/certified Cresent 410 with 12 1/4 " barrel


After my father passed I have the above gun. He owned it all his life.  I was told it is illegal to own it. How is it illegal when he bought a legal gun and it has been passed down to me? Please clarify as I was not aware of this.  As a youth he would let me shoot it often.

Because the barrel length is less than 18 inches, it is considered a short barrel shotgun and must comply with National Firearms Act. You should remove the barrel now and keep it separate from the receiver so you're not in possession of an unregistered SBS. There's something you need to be aware of called Constructive Possession that you need to look in to.

If you want to keep it a SBS, you will have to have it engraved and submit a ATF Form 1 - Application to Make and Register a Firearm ( and pay the $200 tax stamp.  

Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Michael T.


I can answer questions regarding FFL transfers, purchasing firearms online or through auctions sites, out of state transfers, purchasing NFA items. PLEASE read Instructions to Questioner section so your question will not be rejected. I offer no legal advise.


01 FFL Dealer and Class 3 SOT.

NRA,, International Defensive Pistol Association, Glock Sport Shooting Foundation

Type 01 Federal Firearms License Dealer, Class 3 SOT, Licensed Small Arms Dealer, business owner.

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]