Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports/Iver Johnson Hammerless 32cal

On top of barrel various patents ending in 93,also Iver Johnson Cycle Works Fitchburg Mass, on trigger,single latch.flat spring under grips,serial #20078 on bottom of butt, owls head plastic or rubber handles.What year was it mfg.
Would it be dangerous to use 32cal auto Remington Peters Ammo.

Hello Don.
 There are two possibilities. It is either a ..1894 First Model Safety Automatic Hammerless.., or an ..1895 First Model First Variation Safety Automatic Hammerless.. The difference is the 1894 model has a type of 'hook' on the top strap to hold the cylinder on the frame, which is activated by lifting up a notch to remove the cylinder, while the 1895 has a threaded bushing to hold the cylinder on the frame. These were called Safety Automatic's because they did not have a hammer mounted firing pin, like all other revolvers did at that time. Instead the firing pin was mounted inside the frame and was activated by a flat bar that raised to engage it, only when the hammer was fully cocked. This was so the revolver could not be fired by dropping it on the hammer. The Iver Johnson revolvers were known as the "only revolver you could hit the hammer with a hammer, and thus the safety was called the 'Hammer the Hammer' safety mechanism.
 It will not fire a .32 Automatic cartridge, since it was only designed to fire a .32 S&W cartridge loaded with black powder. Even modern cartridges in .32 S&W caliber are too powerful to be fired in this model. If you want to shoot your revolver, first have it checked by a certified, licensed gunsmith. If it is approved, just google for 'black powder cartridges' and you will find them for sale.
 I hope this helps answer your question, and thank you for asking for me. Charles Gage  

Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports

Charles Gage

I can answer questions dealing with firearms and their development due to western expansion. I can answer most questions about any firearms of the world manufactured after the Civil War(1868 - present. I can offer safety warnings about these. I can offer opinions and the reasons behind these. I can also answer questions about Iver Johnson firearms. I can identify by pictures most firearms. If your question involves a firearm you have access to, please include a good quality photo with your question.

I have been at the study of firearms and their use since my first issue of Field and Stream in 1962.At that time I was completely devoted to rifles, but over the years I have experienced the thrill of the hunt with handguns, shotguns and of course rifles. I moved from Oklahoma to New Mexico in 1972 and, since, I have taken numerous game and non-game animals with all firearms (cannons excluded)including blackpowder muzzleloading rifles,shotguns and handguns. My favorite handgun for large non-game animals, such as feral hogs, is my Uberti replica of a 1847 Colt Walker. Very heavy, but accurate.

I am a 1973 high school graduate. Junior and senior year I developed a class on Wildlife Depredation and Conservation of our Rocky Mountain states. My specialty was the brown bear.

New Mexico Hunter Safety Program Instructor 15 year award.