Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports/Iver Johnson handgun

Good morning Charles,I have a top-break Iver Johnson pistol chambered in 38S&W that supposedly belonged to my great-grandfather who worked at the Maine state prison in Thomaston. The serial number is 72719--on the bottom of the handgrip is stamped pat. aug.25.96  If you could,can you tell me when it was manufactured ?  It does have sentimental value to our family,Thank you in advance,Wayne

Hello Wayne.
  Your revolver is known as 'Iver Johnson Safety Hammer Third Model 2nd Variation'. What a mouthful! It was manufactured in 1913. There were 6,600 manufactured that year. The Thomaston prison in Maine opened in 1824 and moved to another city in 2002. Iver Johnson revolvers were issued to some guards, but most staff had to purchase their own revolver. Since Iver Johnson was the safest and most dependable revolver on the market, and the lower price, compared to Colt and Smith & Wesson, this made them very desirable to police departments and other law enforcement personnel. I hope this answers your question and thank you for asking for me. Charles Gage

Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports

Charles Gage

I can answer questions dealing with firearms and their development due to western expansion. I can answer most questions about any firearms of the world manufactured after the Civil War(1868 - present. I can offer safety warnings about these. I can offer opinions and the reasons behind these. I can also answer questions about Iver Johnson firearms. I can identify by pictures most firearms. If your question involves a firearm you have access to, please include a good quality photo with your question.

I have been at the study of firearms and their use since my first issue of Field and Stream in 1962.At that time I was completely devoted to rifles, but over the years I have experienced the thrill of the hunt with handguns, shotguns and of course rifles. I moved from Oklahoma to New Mexico in 1972 and, since, I have taken numerous game and non-game animals with all firearms (cannons excluded)including blackpowder muzzleloading rifles,shotguns and handguns. My favorite handgun for large non-game animals, such as feral hogs, is my Uberti replica of a 1847 Colt Walker. Very heavy, but accurate.

I am a 1973 high school graduate. Junior and senior year I developed a class on Wildlife Depredation and Conservation of our Rocky Mountain states. My specialty was the brown bear.

New Mexico Hunter Safety Program Instructor 15 year award.