Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports/Trying to identify proper cartridges to purchase

Length and image of overall revolver
Length and image of ov  
The only wording on the gun except the serial number.
The only wording on th  
QUESTION: Hi there;
I have recently been given this antique revolver and am trying to positively identify its proper full name. It has matching serial numbers of 4772 under the finger/trigger guard and beneath the wooden grip on the metal frame. I am having a very difficult time finding an exact match online either with images or describing it in search engines. I would like to make a purchase of some cartridges for it but want to make sure I buy the proper ones for this particular Iver revolver Johnson. Any information that you may provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

ANSWER: Hello Dave.
  You have an 'Iver Johnson Safety Automatic Third Model'. There are only four calibers this was manufactured in. .22Lr.; .32 Smith & Wesson; .32 Smith & Wesson Long and .38 Smith & Wesson(not .38 Smith & Wesson Special). From the appearance of the picture you posted, and with the lack of an 'alpha-numeric' serial number, I would say it is a Third Model Large Frame in .22Lr. If so, it will be a seven shot cylinder. I do not believe it is a .32 Smith & Wesson Long, since the cylinder seems short. However, it could be a .32 Smith & Wesson. If so, it will have a six shot cylinder. If it is only a five shot cylinder, it can only be a .38 Smith & Wesson. The grip is called a Western Walnut. If it is .22Lr., you can shoot any subsonic cartridges in it. If it is the .32S&W or .38 S&W, you can purchase these online from most ammunition dealers. I hope this helps and thanks for asking for me. Charles Gage

Pic 1
Pic 1  

Pic 2
Pic 2  
QUESTION: I have included two more photographs for you to help clear up the amount of cartridges it takes. A standard Bic pen fit almost perfectly in the the chamber round holder with just a tiny tiny bit of wig room. It appears from your description that this is most likely a .32 size round then? Is there a place where I may research the actual serial number online for free please?

Hello Dave.
  You are correct about the caliber. A round 'Bic' pin will fit in the bore snug. Now that we are this far, we can go to manufacture year. That year was 1909. The wood grips, 'Western Walnut', were new in 1910, and available as a 'special order' for the Third Model Safety Automatic. This was not the only 'special order' for the Third Model. There was a 6" barrel available. The standard was 3 1/4". The revolver was also offered in blue steel, while the standard was nickel-plate. All special orders from the factory were numbered without a 'letter' prefix. All said, Your revolver was a special order, direct from the factory, to the original owner (not from a hardware store). It was most likely a revolver on hand from the 1909 manufacture batch. So, due to research, including information from W.E. Goforth's book 'Iver Johnson Arms & Cycle Works Firearms 1871-1993', you have an 'Iver Johnson Safety Automatic Third Model Special Order of 1909. It can be a .32 Smith & Wesson Long, or a .32 Smith & Wesson. The .32 S&W Long is no longer available, but the .32 S&W is still available and can be used in it's place. I would hold on to this one. Average value on todays market is $150-$200, but this one could be more.
  Thanks for asking for me again. And remember the information is absolutely free! Charles Gage.  

Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports

Charles Gage

I can answer questions dealing with firearms and their development due to western expansion. I can answer most questions about any firearms of the world manufactured after the Civil War(1868 - present. I can offer safety warnings about these. I can offer opinions and the reasons behind these. I can also answer questions about Iver Johnson firearms. I can identify by pictures most firearms. If your question involves a firearm you have access to, please include a good quality photo with your question.

I have been at the study of firearms and their use since my first issue of Field and Stream in 1962.At that time I was completely devoted to rifles, but over the years I have experienced the thrill of the hunt with handguns, shotguns and of course rifles. I moved from Oklahoma to New Mexico in 1972 and, since, I have taken numerous game and non-game animals with all firearms (cannons excluded)including blackpowder muzzleloading rifles,shotguns and handguns. My favorite handgun for large non-game animals, such as feral hogs, is my Uberti replica of a 1847 Colt Walker. Very heavy, but accurate.

I am a 1973 high school graduate. Junior and senior year I developed a class on Wildlife Depredation and Conservation of our Rocky Mountain states. My specialty was the brown bear.

New Mexico Hunter Safety Program Instructor 15 year award.