Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports/H&R .32 auto eject top break

QUESTION: Hello Charles. Have a h&r .32 auto eject top break 6 shot. Serial # 278461. Marked .32 s&w ctge on left side of barrel. Can you give me any info on this gun? Thanks in advance. Bob

ANSWER: Hello Bob.
  Serial number only will not speak for this revolver. I need the information 'exactly' as it appears on the barrel. This will be the only way I can date your H&R. Please ask for me again, with this information, and I will be able to date it for you. Include a couple pictures, also, if you can. Charles Gage

QUESTION: Hey Charles. Bob here. My H&R top break. Ser. mumber 278461. Left side of barrel says AUTOEJECTING 32 S&W. CTGE. Top of barrel... two lines... top line reads HARRINGTON & RICHARDSON ,some rust pitting ,CO. Bottom line reads WORCHESTER,MASS. U.S.A. Minor pitting in barrel & chambers. Cylinder locks up tight. About one sixteenth inch play back & forth on cylinder. Timing is good. Will try to send some pics.

Hello again Bob.
  Thank you for the extra information. Your revolver is a Harrington & Richardson Third Model Third Variation for smokeless powder .32S&W Long ctg. It was manufactured from 1913 thru 1915. Values are assessed by demand and condition. Your model can be from $95 to over $200. The condition you describe of your revolver sounds to be 'average', with a value between $95 and $125, on todays market. Have it checked by a 'competent' licensed gunsmith to see if it is safe to fire. I really enjoy firing all in my collection. I hope this answers you questions, and thank you for asking for me. Please take time to rate my answer. Charles Gage

Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports

Charles Gage

I can answer questions dealing with firearms and their development due to western expansion. I can answer most questions about any firearms of the world manufactured after the Civil War(1868 - present. I can offer safety warnings about these. I can offer opinions and the reasons behind these. I can also answer questions about Iver Johnson firearms. I can identify by pictures most firearms. If your question involves a firearm you have access to, please include a good quality photo with your question.

I have been at the study of firearms and their use since my first issue of Field and Stream in 1962.At that time I was completely devoted to rifles, but over the years I have experienced the thrill of the hunt with handguns, shotguns and of course rifles. I moved from Oklahoma to New Mexico in 1972 and, since, I have taken numerous game and non-game animals with all firearms (cannons excluded)including blackpowder muzzleloading rifles,shotguns and handguns. My favorite handgun for large non-game animals, such as feral hogs, is my Uberti replica of a 1847 Colt Walker. Very heavy, but accurate.

I am a 1973 high school graduate. Junior and senior year I developed a class on Wildlife Depredation and Conservation of our Rocky Mountain states. My specialty was the brown bear.

New Mexico Hunter Safety Program Instructor 15 year award.