Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports/Rifle sling

Question
Would you know what was the correct issue sling for a Lee Enfield No. 4 Mk.1 (t) sniper rifle. Was it leather and would any Lee Enfield sling be correct.

Answer
Hello Robert.
  Good question. At the opening of WWI, much fighting was done from the trenches. Original SMLE's were equipped with leather slings (P-14). However, leather was prone to rotting in wet places(trenches). Therefore, these were replaced, for the most part, with the Pattern '08. This was a canvas web construction with metal ends and rivets. Leather slings were still being used in less combative areas. There was a short period when the supply of canvas web slings could not keep up demand, so a layered canvas, sewn together, sling was temporarily issued. By the time of the manufacture of the SMLE No.4, canvas web was the issue of record. There have been a very small number of leather slings found with the "broad arrow" and the date "1940" stamped on them, issued with Australian Commonwealth rifles.
  So, the research I have done, and the very issue of 'web vs. leather', leads me to believe that the canvas web sling, with metal ends, is the correct issue for the SMLE No.4 MK1(T) sniper rifle. A word of caution: There are many more 'fakes' on the market than 'original' sniper rifles.
  I hope this helps answer your question, and thank you for asking for me. Charles Gage  

Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports

Charles Gage