Gymnastics/Back handspring

tanya wrote at 2014-10-14 12:33:15
I would definitely get a new coach if you're not doing a back hand spring. My daughter is 6 started cheerleading the end of July and had no tumbling skills. Aug came she had a front and back walk over. Aug they started training a back hand spring. With in the first 5 times of spotting she had it on a wedge mat alone. From there she had it on the ground in a week. Gymnastics is competitive just like cheer all stars. This is only going once a week for an hour. After she had the hand spring on the ground she could automatically do a round off back hand spring with no spot. She made it into a round off triple back hand spring by herself. All this was in a month time frame from having no hand stands or bridges. Not saying it's flawless  but her legs are together and knees slightly bent doing a back hand spring. Corrected it's right 5 out of 8. She is moving to tucks

Rik Feeney

I can answer questions regarding all levels of the sport of women's gymnastics, the business of gymnastics, and the marketing of gymnastics programs.

I am the author of "Gymnastics: A Guide for Parents and Athletes" currently being published by McGraw-Hill. I am also a ghostwriter and co-author of the Gymcert series of books "Levels 1-3 Gymnastics Coaches Certifications Manuals" for recreational gymnasts, and the "Levels 4 - 6 Skills and Drills" books as well as Safety Basics for Gymnastics Instructors. I have written several other books on the sport of gymnastics for Richardson Publishing, the latest of which is titled, "Back Handsprings: The Secret Techniques." Oh, and by the way, I was a competitive gymnast through high school and college (Temple University), gymnastics club owner for 10 years, and women's gymnastics coach for 30 years working with gymnasts at all competitive levels

USA Gymnastics National Writer's union Florida Writer's Association

USA Gymnastics magazine Technique magazine International Gymnast magazine several newspaper articles

Temple University - Health Physical Education, Recreation & Dance Norwich University - Bachelors of Arts in Writing & Literature

Several state and national level gymnastics champions in different systems of competition.

Past/Present clients
Gymnasts, coaches, and club owners nation-wide.