Gymnastics/choosing a club/coach

How do you know the club/coaches that you have chosen are good quality and the best for your young gymnast?  My girls are level 4 and have asked, after a competition, what they need to refine to improve a particular event, and are told to keep working hard.

Hi Joe,

Sorry for the delay...I live by the New Jersey has been a very long 2 weeks.

From a parent's point of your child happy to go to gym? Does your child like their coach as much as the sport? (Not every child likes every coach, no matter how good the coach is, sometimes personalities just clash...) If so then they probably have a good coach...for the mental aspect of the sport.

Being told to work hard is a very normal coaching response...but is your child successful in competition...if so...then they probably have a good coach...does the "team" do well at competition...then they probably have a good coach...for the physical aspect of the sport.

How does the club perform at state meets at different levels?  Some gyms do not focus hard on compulsories but have very successful optional teams.  
Have any athletes from the club gotten scholarships?

These are all things to look at.

Hope that helps.

Pam Rafe-Borges

I can answer questions about technique, choreography, skill values for both Women's USAG JO rules and NFHS rules. I have been in this sport for 35 plus years as an athlete and a coach. I have been a judge for 15 plus years.

I have been in the sport for 30 plus years, as a gymnast, coach, choreographer,pre-school gymnastics instructor, and official.I was the gymnastics director for 10 years at a summer day camp

I have a USAG level 10 judges rating. I am also a NJSIAA judge which uses the NFHS rules.