Gymnastics/I miss gymnastics

Question
I was a gymnast for 9 years as a USAG level 7 and I quit because I wanted to do dance more but the thing is I really miss it now and I miss my friends but I don't want to spend all of my time at gymnastics like I used to I still love dance and I think I'm pretty good at it but the reason I quit was because I started mental blocking EVERY skill and getting scared so I just quit my coach says I'm always welcome back and the doors are always open but I don't know what I should do

Answer
Hi Molly,

So what is stopping you? Go back and enjoy the sport.

Just make sure you have your goals set properly. To be a competitive gymnast, as I am sure you already know, requires a commitment of time and energy that may preclude some of the activities you enjoy now as a "normal" person.

Do you want to compete or just workout?

Dance is a great exercise, but the level of conditioning for gymnastics will be different and you may need to do a lot of catching up in the strength department.

In addition, if you have grown at all since you quit, it is likely you will have to re-learn many techniques and skills.

You can go back but it will take some time and effort to get back to the level of capability you once had.

Think through all the possible effects going to back to the gym will have on your life and modify your goals accordingly.

Welcome back!

Coach Rik
www.GymnasticsTrainingTips.com

Gymnastics

Rik Feeney