Gymnastics/First time gymnastic mom.

I have an eight year old daughter who is really taking to gymnastics, she works hard with the goal of making team. I however have no idea what I am doing? She does very well and has incredible strength in both gymnastics and swim. I really want to help her succeed in her goals, as well as give her an opportunity to grow in the sport. I have tried expressing this to several people at her gym, but just get told she's doing very well. She currently is attending Daggets in aqawam ma, and I heard this is a good school. So I guess my question is how do I learn about how to help her get where she needs to be? What is the financial aspect of this sport? Also is the usgtc in ma a good summer program? I am kinda just looking for any help to get her in the right place to excel and maybe learn and understand my role as a parent and how to make the most of her class.
Thank you, J

Hi Jennifer,
It's great that your daughter is doing very well, and I bet you are very proud of her.  If you are looking to help her excel you can provide stretching and conditioning opportunities at home, because class time is usually focused on using the equipment.  There are many specific suggestions that you can have her do at home at, specifically discusses conditioning, but if you mouseover the conditioning link on the left you'll see several different areas of focus.

Robert Davis

I can answer questions about technique, strength and endurance training, healing from injuries, and competitions. I can also answer questions from parents of gymnasts, as I have six children of my own now. I plan to write a freely downloadable ebook or guide soon, go to to tell me what you want help with!

I competed in gymnastics for 16 years, from age 8 to 24, the last six of those years on the Arizona State Men's Gymnastics Team ( After almost a 10 year hiatus I've returned to competition, see

I have a BSE and MS in Electrical Engineering from Arizona State University. During those 6 years I was a member of the Arizona State Men's Gymnastics Team as well.