Gymnastics/Am I too old to join the team?

Question
I am a 32 year old woman. I currently go to an adult gymnastics class once a week. I can do tumbling handsprings, Ariel's , front tucks. I also do bars, beam and vault . My question is am I too old to compete with the rest of the girls who are on the team? Does it go by age, or what level you can compete at ?

Answer
Hi Denise,

The bottom line is anything is possible, whether it is likely to happen depends on your specific goal with regard to competition and you level of commitment.

Commitment is like a bacon and egg breakfast: the chicken has an interest but the pig is fully committed.

Competitive gymnastics at any level requires a much greater degree of fitness than the average person needs. Before starting any new training regimen, get a physical exam by a medical doctor. Then, contact a qualified gymnastics coach and have him/her give you a strength, flexibility, and skill evaluation so he/she can develop a workout regiment appropriate to your goals.

Put in the time. Repetition of skills with qualified feedback is the key to success. That means you need to be in the gym a minimum of 3 - 5 days a week for 3 - 4 hours per workout. Spaced repetition of workouts is a fact not an option.

Those are the basic concerns.

Good luck.

Coach Rik Feeney

P.S. You may also have some social concerns with the difference in ages between you and your other teammates or competitors.  

Gymnastics

Rik Feeney