Gymnastics/Front Tucks on Beam

Hi, I recently started training front tucks on beam. I find that after awhile my feet really start to hurt, especially my heels. Any solution to this or am I doing something wrong to cause this?

Hi Hayley,
The beam is a relatively hard surface so the force of impact needs to be absorbed by your body for the most part.  Are you landing on your heels?  If I were you I would do some high tuck jumps on beam and practice landing on the balls of my feet and bend my ankles and knees a bit to absorb the shock until I can land comfortably.  Then when doing front tucks I'd try to land the same way.  

You might be landing on the balls of your feet but if you aren't rotated enough out of your front tuck you'll hit your heels pretty quick and give them a big shock.  In that case you'll need to work on higher tuck jumps or tighter tucking (or both) in order to rotate faster.

Robert Davis

I can answer questions about technique, strength and endurance training, healing from injuries, and competitions. I can also answer questions from parents of gymnasts, as I have six children of my own now. I plan to write a freely downloadable ebook or guide soon, go to to tell me what you want help with!

I competed in gymnastics for 16 years, from age 8 to 24, the last six of those years on the Arizona State Men's Gymnastics Team ( After almost a 10 year hiatus I've returned to competition, see

I have a BSE and MS in Electrical Engineering from Arizona State University. During those 6 years I was a member of the Arizona State Men's Gymnastics Team as well.