Gymnastics/Level 7 Beam, new rules

My daughter is a level 7 and her coach is having her do a press handstand mount, a full turn, a split jump/sissone combo, a high scale, and a connected backhandspring step-out, backhandpring two-foot, back tuck dismount.   Its really more like a level 8 routine. Does she have enough As? Can she be penalized for having too many Bs or all the hard skills connected at end of routine?

Hi Gia,

I apologize for the delay.  Rough time of year.  Now that I can give this my full focus...

Your daughter has 8 skills. 7 is the requirement, 5 A's 2 B's.  If the 8th skill is clean it doesn't matter whether it is in or not.  B's can replace A's (not the other way around though).

She will not be penalized for having too many B's.  Extra B's are fine...if they are clean.

There is no distribution deduction for level 7 so there is no penalty for "all the hard skills" at the end.  Actually she has a very well balanced routine. B-A-B-A-A(? not sure what you mean by high scale, it could be a B)B-B-A.

Hope that's helpful...and again sorry for the delay.

Pam Rafe-Borges

I can answer questions about technique, choreography, skill values for both Women's USAG JO rules and NFHS rules. I have been in this sport for 35 plus years as an athlete and a coach. I have been a judge for 15 plus years.

I have been in the sport for 30 plus years, as a gymnast, coach, choreographer,pre-school gymnastics instructor, and official.I was the gymnastics director for 10 years at a summer day camp

I have a USAG level 10 judges rating. I am also a NJSIAA judge which uses the NFHS rules.