Gymnastics/17 year old gymnast

Question
Im now 17 and i did gymastics from the age of 7 to 11. I quit because i had a fall on the vault and it scared me. I now want to do it again, and i have so much mental strength i can push myself to the limits im just wondering will i get anywhere in gymnastics from being so old?

Answer
Natalie,

I can tell you that your goal will not be easy.

Will it be possible? Only with the utmost commitment and desire.

Your body has likely changed somewhat since you were 7. You will need to relearn all new techniques that take into account your new body dimensions.

You will have to put in an inordinate amount of time building your strength and flexibility just to work on the basic skills.

It is likely you will have to give up all social interaction with friends and family to achieve your goal.

Since you wrote this letter has your goal diminished even slightly? The reason I ask is that your goal will need to burn stronger and brighter each day if you choose to take this path.

Is your goal possible? Yes, I have seen it done before by other gymnasts. Will it be easy? It will likely be one of the hardest things you ever do. Will it be worth it? Only you can answer that question.

Coach Rik

Gymnastics

Rik Feeney