Gymnastics/Daughter with talent?

Hello we have a 7 year old daughter that has been in a pre team program for 9 mos. She is very strong, flexible and limber. She has just been asked to join the team ( level 4) . Our question is how do we know what type of caliber of a gymnast she can be. Whats the best way to get a national coach to see if she has what it takes The gym owner has said she is very good, the strongest at the gym
(lb for lb)and cant wait to see her potential? Also I have read that some elite gymnast skip level 4 what are your thought about that

I am very glad to help you.  I would first ask the head coach or owner these questions.  What is the highest level in your gym?  I would think that if the levels (let’s say) goes to 9……are the coaches willing to train her further?  Ask the head coach or owner what testing programs are available.  They may have participating in some for past gymnasts already……like the tops programs.  You can also call USAG headquarters at   1-317 237 5050 or email them at  USAG web site has many sites for you to investigate or at least send you in the right direction.

I wish you the best for all that you wish for your daughter and take care – Jack Leonard  

Jack Leonard

Former 5 time Natl. Tumbling Champ, 3 time Natl. Vaulting Champ, Natl. Floor Exercise Champ; Ass`t coach of Dominique Dawes for 6 years; Owner/Director/Head coach of Kauai Gymnastics Academy on the island of Kauai in Hawaii; Retired Physical Ed teacher; Childrens Fitness Expert; Expert Consultant for gymnastics litigation; Retired Mens & Womens HS Gymnastics coach for 32 years. National coaching honors for Men in 1981 & Women in 2001.

I value the following awards because they were given by acknowlegement through my peers: The Nissen/Grissold Award given to the outstanding Tumbling and Tramp Athlete(1972), National High School coach of the year in 1981 for men and 2001 for women, 10 time County Coach of the Year. Medal Award given at the first World Tumbling Championships in London, England for dedication to the sport. Lastly, having the opportunity to coach Wes Suter(1988 Olympian)in his intermediate years and Dominique Dawes(1992 & 1996)