If you pull your hamstring should u keep doing the splits and stuff like that?

Hi Jordan,
         I am very glad to help you.  Okay, I understand you are very interested in continuing your training. But you should not train on a recent injury.  Remember the muscles heal by first contracting and that with the swelling against the nerves tells you to slow down.  The hamstring muscle has many small strands of muscle and it can be very painful and take a long time to heal completly.  Be careful on getting back too quickly.  Put heat on in the am to help the muscle to relax and ice at the end of your day.  Don't forget to take care of yourself and respect the pain.  Gymnastics is the most demanding sport for your don't treat your pain lightly.  Take Care and I wish you the very best.  Jack Leonard

Jack Leonard

Former 5 time Natl. Tumbling Champ, 3 time Natl. Vaulting Champ, Natl. Floor Exercise Champ; Ass`t coach of Dominique Dawes for 6 years; Owner/Director/Head coach of Kauai Gymnastics Academy on the island of Kauai in Hawaii; Retired Physical Ed teacher; Childrens Fitness Expert; Expert Consultant for gymnastics litigation; Retired Mens & Womens HS Gymnastics coach for 32 years. National coaching honors for Men in 1981 & Women in 2001.

I value the following awards because they were given by acknowlegement through my peers: The Nissen/Grissold Award given to the outstanding Tumbling and Tramp Athlete(1972), National High School coach of the year in 1981 for men and 2001 for women, 10 time County Coach of the Year. Medal Award given at the first World Tumbling Championships in London, England for dedication to the sport. Lastly, having the opportunity to coach Wes Suter(1988 Olympian)in his intermediate years and Dominique Dawes(1992 & 1996)