Gymnastics/Strength training program

I am from Austria and here I have no possibility to train for more than 6 hours a week in a gym. Gymnastics in Austria is soooo bad, we do not even have a real gym here. Anyways, I started about 2 months ago and now I am level 4. I am quite skilled as i did ballet for a long time.
I want to get really good and develop fast. I could spend 15-20 hours of training a week, because I am a student and there is nothing I like more than my sport! But I just can train 3 x for 2 hours in the gym, that's the maximum they offer. We do not do any strength excercises, just very very few at the warm-ups, my gym just does tumbling, a little bit of bars (we just have 1!) and beam. In the 2 months I did vault for 10 minutes!

What I want to do now, is develop a very good strength at home. I have my splits, and can do about 30 push ups and 40 V-ups in a row, but can't do either one leg-lift nor one pull-up.
I also try round-offs and walkovers at home to have a faster progression in the gym.
So I want to add about 1-2 hours of training every day of the week at home, progress fast, then do a demi-pair or student's year in the USA, train hard and learn a lot and when I get back I will be one of the best gymnasts of Vienna! (Vienna is very very weak in Gymnastics)I really want that and it goes well with my studies as I am studying sports.

Have You got any idea and tips fpr home training? If I do 3 sets of 20 push ups, 5x1 pull up, dips ad handstands I feel exhausted for a short time but revover very very quick and I am not sore. The same with my core. I often do 20 V-Ups, 20 tuck-ups, 20 straddle ups, sit-ups, crunches and plank but don't feel a lot. I am really frustrated as aI just can get better when I am strong, but I do not know how to train?
Every day 10 min arms, 15 min core, 15 min legs? Or better every other day half an hour of each? What should I do? How many repetitions? How long is the perfcet training?

I would appreciate it so much if you could give me tips!!

Thanks, Kate

My goodness you are in a hurry. Your motivation is high. Your idea that you need more strength is very good. You are doing some good things, but you need to do a lot more. You are correct in thinking that the stronger you get, the easier it will be to advance in skills. Sounds like you are planning to energize gymnastics in Austria!

You must add some aerobic conditioning to your training. Running, biking, swimming, jump roping, or a combination of all of the above. Look for the Cooper Wellness Institute web site. They have many good aerobic conditioning programs. Many fitness and sport magazines have plans for conditioning as well. You need high endurance to train and compete well without injury.

You can check out my website at I have a gymnastics book with exercise that may help. AllExpert customers get a discount.

You are doing some of the correct exercises, but not near enough.Our gym works up to at least 100 reps of any exercise. You should alternate days for arms and legs. You should do core every day.  You should always take a day off training muscle strength and aerobic work.

You need to target muscles between shoulder blades. Look up the "push up plus" exercise. You need to strength your but muscles, and your lower abdominal muscles. You need to learn to hold all three muscle sets tight at the same time. My booklet explains this well.

Look up Dr. Larry Nassar, the gymnastics He is the doc who worked with the Olympic gymnast from Michigan. He has a lot of excellent exercises you should do and most are free with video on line.

Good luck.  I expect to see you as a gymnastic star some day.

Kathy Tooman PT

Analysis of motion. What muscle length, strength, balance, coordination is needed to accomplish drills or skills. What is needed to avoid preventable injuries and to assist in rehab from a physical therapy perspective.

3o years as a clinical therapist with strong skills in figuring out why or why not an athlete can't accomplish their skills. Many hours with athletes on and off field, specially gymnastics, swimming, tennis, and soccer

American Physical Therapy Association American Physical Therapy Association Sports Medicine Section

HOLD YOUR SHAPE, Childrens Gymnastic Flip Booklet HOLD YOUR SHAPE, Parent & Coach Manual

Physical Therapist, graduate of University of Michigan