Gymnastics/mental block with round off back handspring

Question
So I've this problem for a half a year now. About a year ago I was one of the best tumblers in my team, but now I've left behind because of my mental block. I have my back handspring and my round off, but putting those 2 together just don't work for me... I've also been through couple injuries in the past half a year. On December joint in my elbow broke, and in May half of the joints in my other elbow broke. That's because I have hyperextending elbows which causes lots of pain and harm to me. I have to tape my elbow and put on support brace whenever I'm doing stuff like back handsprings. So, anyways, the problem with my round off bhs. I know how to that, I know that I'm able to do that, I just... My brain just stops me at the moment when I land my round off. And I also do the roundoff kinda hastily, cause all I'm thinking is the back handspring I have to do right after that. Going backwards is not the thing that scares me, and not my injury either, I think. I just feel like I can't connect my bhs to the round off no matter how much my coaches advice me. I'm really frustrated and mad to myself for not doing such and easy thing, which everyone else has learned like in the first time they try to do that. What should I do to get my round off back handspring by the end of the summer?

Answer
The answer is FOCUS.

Focus means Follow One Course Until Successful.

What you focus on tends to grow in your life. I don't believe your focus is on a successful round off back handspring. I think it might be on what happens if you don't go all the way.

Every time a mental picture appears where you don't make the ro-ff, you must immediately replace it with a mental picture of you successfully completing the skill.

Unfortunately, I have too little information to really help you with this problem. I suggest you talk to your coach and make sure you are physically and technically over-prepared to do the skill and if there is still a mental block you may want to contact a sports psychologist to help you overcome your block or fears.

Try contacting:

Dr. Kimberly Lannon
GAMEFACE Consulting Services
klannon@gamefaceconsulting.com
www.gamefaceconsulting.com

Coach Rik

Gymnastics

Rik Feeney