Gymnastics/Air Flair

I am working on putting an air flair into my Level 8 floor routine. I can get the transition from Thomas flair to Air Flair but the second rotation is breaking down and I can't get into a second air flair or revert back into Thomas flair. My coach hasn't done an air flair himself and hasn't coached it. Do you have any tips on what I need to do to train this move.

That is a very difficult skill, especially for level 8. The best thing you can do is work on spindle to handstand and back down. You have to learn to have your body supported over one arm while in the middle of the flair. It took the Hamm brothers many tries to perfect this skill. You will just have to keep working on the transition from flair, handstand hop to other hand and back down. Good luck.

Mark Williams

My expertise is primarily with men`s gymnastics at all levels. General questions about gymnastics and Olympic and World Championship competitions are also areas which I have knowledge.

Head Coach at the University of Oklahoma, 1996 Assistant Olympic Coach for US Men''s Team, 1999 Head Coach of Pan American Games US Men''s Team