Gymnastics/Women's gymnastics

Question
My daughter is a level 4 team gymnast but not competition at her gym. I took her to another gym that is closer and I think will push her a little more, because that is when she does better. The coach at the new gym is an Olympic gold medalist and evaluated her and said she is a level 2. Why would there be such a difference from gym to gym?

Answer
Hi Jeff,

You wrote, "Why would there be such a difference from gym to gym?" - with respect to team levels.

First, this year the compulsory routines have been updated. A simple explanation would be that every routine has dropped down one level. The old level 5 routine is now the new level 4 routine and so on throughout the system. Your coach may not be holding her back just placing her at a competitive level that is appropriate with the new routines.

Next, there is no one way to coach, there is only the way that is best, and or familiar, to the coach, the training system, the equipment, and the coaches of a particular gym. The coach may be placing your daughter in a training program he/she feels is most appropriate for the good of the whole training program.

Obviously, these are only my speculations, you would need to speak with the coach directly for the best information.

Coach Rik

Gymnastics

Rik Feeney