Gymnastics/hop change

I am trying to learn my hop change so that I can use my front giants this season.  The first 2 days I worked on it my coach spotted me.  Since then (2mos. ago) I have received very little instruction on them.  I work on them about once a week for a few minutes.  My coach tells me to work on them.  And then he sends me to work on them on a bar that is out of the way.  I am getting frustrated with my lack of progress.  I recently asked my coach for correction and he said he was too busy.  I am doing them on a low bar that is the height of the top of my head.  I am changing my hands when my hips rise.  I do my glide and start my straddle cast and when my hips rise I do the hop but I get stuck there.  About 3/4 of the way up legs in a straddle.  The only corrections that I can think of are shoulder more over the bar or perhaps a more powerful glide.  I have a very nice straddle cast handstand from this bar but just can't get this skill.  Any advice?

Hi Jessica,
      I am very glad to help you.   Go to this site and study the instructors ideas.  See if you can use these in your gym.  They are great drills and with the film you are able to interpret it very well.  I wish you the best of luck.  Take care Jack Leonard  

Jack Leonard

Former 5 time Natl. Tumbling Champ, 3 time Natl. Vaulting Champ, Natl. Floor Exercise Champ; Ass`t coach of Dominique Dawes for 6 years; Owner/Director/Head coach of Kauai Gymnastics Academy on the island of Kauai in Hawaii; Retired Physical Ed teacher; Childrens Fitness Expert; Expert Consultant for gymnastics litigation; Retired Mens & Womens HS Gymnastics coach for 32 years. National coaching honors for Men in 1981 & Women in 2001.

I value the following awards because they were given by acknowlegement through my peers: The Nissen/Grissold Award given to the outstanding Tumbling and Tramp Athlete(1972), National High School coach of the year in 1981 for men and 2001 for women, 10 time County Coach of the Year. Medal Award given at the first World Tumbling Championships in London, England for dedication to the sport. Lastly, having the opportunity to coach Wes Suter(1988 Olympian)in his intermediate years and Dominique Dawes(1992 & 1996)