Gymnastics/New to Gymnastics - understanding scoring

Hi there,

I am new to gymnastics and have 3 girls in competition this year.  My youngest is in new level 2 and my twins are in new level 3.  We would love to understand more about the sport.  My first question is: What are the judges looking for and what will give deductions during their routine?  My second question is:  Can you give us some tips they can use to adjust in their routines that may help them improve their scores?

They have their next competition in two weeks and I would love to help them in anyway to bring their scores up some more.  My twins are doing pretty well but my younger one lacks focus sometimes in a large group setting.  I feel that if I have some knowledge about the sport I can assist her at home with some one on one and help her in the areas she needs improvement.

Thanks so much for your advice!

Hi Meredith,

That's a lot of information to cover. I normally answer only one question per post. But, I think you need some go-to information.

Normally, I don't plug books, but this one I ghost wrote for a former women's Olympic coach and I really think the information in the book will help you greatly.

The book is titled, Gymnastics: Your Best Meet Ever! by Rita Brown and is available on Amazon.

Like I said, I hate to do shameless promoting, but I truly believe this book will provide you with all the answers you need - and then some. Unfortunately I do not have the room in this format or the time to write an extensive answer which is what your questions require.

If I am wrong or you feel this answer did not meet your needs, please let me know.

Coach Rik

Rik Feeney

I can answer questions regarding all levels of the sport of women's gymnastics, the business of gymnastics, and the marketing of gymnastics programs.

I am the author of "Gymnastics: A Guide for Parents and Athletes" currently being published by McGraw-Hill. I am also a ghostwriter and co-author of the Gymcert series of books "Levels 1-3 Gymnastics Coaches Certifications Manuals" for recreational gymnasts, and the "Levels 4 - 6 Skills and Drills" books as well as Safety Basics for Gymnastics Instructors. I have written several other books on the sport of gymnastics for Richardson Publishing, the latest of which is titled, "Back Handsprings: The Secret Techniques." Oh, and by the way, I was a competitive gymnast through high school and college (Temple University), gymnastics club owner for 10 years, and women's gymnastics coach for 30 years working with gymnasts at all competitive levels

USA Gymnastics National Writer's union Florida Writer's Association

USA Gymnastics magazine Technique magazine International Gymnast magazine several newspaper articles

Temple University - Health Physical Education, Recreation & Dance Norwich University - Bachelors of Arts in Writing & Literature

Several state and national level gymnastics champions in different systems of competition.

Past/Present clients
Gymnasts, coaches, and club owners nation-wide.