Gymnastics/private lessons

My daughter is 12.  She has had some gymnastic classes but they were very general and did not serve her well.  She "lives" on a trampoline, which I know is not a pre requisite for gymnastics, but she works everyday on the floor trying to replicate.  We are scared for her to try things because we are not educated in the area.  My questions to you, she really is not interested in heavy competition, just increasing her "floor" skills without the trampoline.  Who, what and where could I get her in where she can get some individual training?  If she becomes passionate we can go with it, if she reaches a goal and is satisfied we are good with that, but I would really like her to get some individual training.

Thank you!!!!

Hello Tamara,
         I am very glad to help you.  Your daughter has some choices in what direction and how she wishes her talent to be tested.  I would first check out the USAG web site for clubs near you.  Most have qualified trampoline programs.  Your daughter may just want to be a trampolinist.  FYI,  tramp benefits all events with a greater air sense.  Another idea is power tumbling.  Power tumbling is done on a 60 long very springy surface.  It is usually a rod tumbling system made of many steel rods.  The rod tumbling will really enhance the height and action of the skills you are learning.  It is also quite fun.  Some gyms have it all and some may specialize in power tumbling and trampoline.   You should check those out on line.  You may find some gyms in your area that have it all.  Finally, check out the local YMCA.  The YMCA may have sophisticated programs also.  Some YMCA programs participate with meets and have a national championship in the late spring.  I hope I have helped you on your way and the best of luck to your daughter.  Take Care Jack Leonard    USA Gymnastics web site where you can find a local gym by entering city or zip code.  Just look for find a gym.

Jack Leonard

Former 5 time Natl. Tumbling Champ, 3 time Natl. Vaulting Champ, Natl. Floor Exercise Champ; Ass`t coach of Dominique Dawes for 6 years; Owner/Director/Head coach of Kauai Gymnastics Academy on the island of Kauai in Hawaii; Retired Physical Ed teacher; Childrens Fitness Expert; Expert Consultant for gymnastics litigation; Retired Mens & Womens HS Gymnastics coach for 32 years. National coaching honors for Men in 1981 & Women in 2001.

I value the following awards because they were given by acknowlegement through my peers: The Nissen/Grissold Award given to the outstanding Tumbling and Tramp Athlete(1972), National High School coach of the year in 1981 for men and 2001 for women, 10 time County Coach of the Year. Medal Award given at the first World Tumbling Championships in London, England for dedication to the sport. Lastly, having the opportunity to coach Wes Suter(1988 Olympian)in his intermediate years and Dominique Dawes(1992 & 1996)