Gymnastics/Can I still do gymnastics after 11 years in retirement?

Question
Hi  my name is caitlyn I am 25 and live In sunny south Florida. I saw this  Website and I had a question for you. I have been searching hoping someone could help me answer a question I have had for a long time. So I started doing gymnastics, and acrobatics when i was 5 and I actively did it and passionately did  it until I was 15. I initially took some time off to focus on high school, but now it's been 11 years. I have been wanting to get back in to the sport I love and miss. Even after 11 years there are still something's i can do, like a round off and cartwheel and the occasional front limber and handstand. but I lost a lot to. The stuff I used to do with out thinking like a split or a back bend or a front flip. I was wondering if it's possible to get that back. So maybe I won't be at the level 15 year old me was but if I could get that flexibility and body back that would be great. I still have some of that body but not all of it. I have fibromyalgia and I constantly have to be stretching to keep pain at bay and I loved gymnastics because it was intense but so much fun and my body felt awesome. I also have scoliosis and its at the point where my doctor says no super high impact excercise. Which sucks more than you know.  I am 25 now is it possible to still do some of the gymnastics that I did and regain at least some of what I lost? If so I would love to how I would go about that.  I really want to get back doing what I have always loved. I will do whatever it takes to keep gymnastics an active part of my life. I hope you can give me some helpful advice and answers.

Thanks!

Caitlyn

Answer
Hi Caitlyn,

You wrote, "I was wondering if it's possible to get that back (gymnastics skills)..." and, "my doctor says no super high impact exercise."

Hmm... As a coach I would require you to have a clear bill of health from a qualified medical doctor. If that is not possible, I would want a specific description of activities you could participate in signed off on by the doctor. Unfortunately, in your case there may be some liability issues for the coach and the gym if you get injured doing activities a doctor specifically warns you against.

Check with your doctor first, then get evaluated by a qualified gymnastics coach with USAG Safety Certification. Work together as a team; you, the doctor, and the coach to determine what you can safely do in the sport of gymnastics.

Stay safe and healthy!

Coach Rik

Gymnastics

Rik Feeney