Gymnastics/cast handstands

Question
Hello!

Usually, I do cast handstands with legs together everyday. But I was wondering - which muscles are used in that? Is it just shoulder strength?
What exercises can you do to train for it?

I think planche work would be a good option for leaning over the bar. But what else can I do?

Thanks!

Answer
Hello Katie,
         I am very glad to help you.  I would also practice them also on the men’s parallel bars.  They are similar and you can usually get more repetition in.  I believe the important muscles in the cast handstand are the planche muscles listed below with some exercises.

Chest:  Bench presses (hand holds on the bar above the shoulders) with weights or push-ups on the parallel bars (feet & hands on the p-bars) with the chest below the hands.
Back/Lats:  Lat pull downs with arms parallel.
Deltoids:  Using dumbbells in all three ranges of motion.   (up and forward sitting), (sitting up and to the side…laterally) & ( bent over standing with one hand on the bench, raise arm up and back).  Please note:  Do not raise the dumbbells above the shoulder level.

I would consider the above exercises the most important.  Keep a journal to keep track of your numbers and always do at least 3 sets of 6-8 repetitions.
I wish you the very best and good luck – Jack Leonard

Gymnastics

Jack Leonard