Gymnastics/Tops Program

I have a 6 year old daughter who is really talented for her age...I would like to get her into the Tops program but our gym doesn't offer one. The closest gym that does is an hour away. Does she have any chance of becoming an elite gymnast if she doesn't go through the Tops and Hopes program? I hate that I have to make such a big decision at such a young age! Thanks for your help!

Hi Ann,
The tops, excel, and other similar programs are setup to help meet the needs of gymnasts at different levels.  However unless you are at a large gym there might not be enough gymnasts to split up the classes to that degree.  As long as she is learning gymnastics fundamentals and enjoying her time in the gym then there is no limit to what she can accomplish in the future.

Robert Davis

I can answer questions about technique, strength and endurance training, healing from injuries, and competitions. I can also answer questions from parents of gymnasts, as I have six children of my own now. I plan to write a freely downloadable ebook or guide soon, go to to tell me what you want help with!

I competed in gymnastics for 16 years, from age 8 to 24, the last six of those years on the Arizona State Men's Gymnastics Team ( After almost a 10 year hiatus I've returned to competition, see

I have a BSE and MS in Electrical Engineering from Arizona State University. During those 6 years I was a member of the Arizona State Men's Gymnastics Team as well.