Gymnastics/straight body cat to handstand

I have a straddle press handstand on floor with ankle weights from a straddle L-Sit, I can also do a pike press from stand and I can hold a good tuck planche on floor for about 15-20 seconds before my form fails.

I have never tried it, but should I be strong enough to do a straight body cast to handstand?

I am 5'3'' and 120 lbs, but my hips are very narrow and my shoulders are broad.

Hi Mia!,
         I am glad to help you.  I am guessing to say yes.  You have good planche strength which is the most important ingredient.  The bar is also very important in the casting action.  You need to use the bend of the bar to help in the speed …..especially important if you are real tight in the body line.  A good tip is to practice the swing handstand on men’s Parallel bars.  I believe that action is great to performing a cast handstand.  It also helps in the shoulder position of countering swing motion.  I wish you the best.  Oh, let me know if you are successful. :)  Take Care – Jack Leonard

Jack Leonard

Former 5 time Natl. Tumbling Champ, 3 time Natl. Vaulting Champ, Natl. Floor Exercise Champ; Ass`t coach of Dominique Dawes for 6 years; Owner/Director/Head coach of Kauai Gymnastics Academy on the island of Kauai in Hawaii; Retired Physical Ed teacher; Childrens Fitness Expert; Expert Consultant for gymnastics litigation; Retired Mens & Womens HS Gymnastics coach for 32 years. National coaching honors for Men in 1981 & Women in 2001.

I value the following awards because they were given by acknowlegement through my peers: The Nissen/Grissold Award given to the outstanding Tumbling and Tramp Athlete(1972), National High School coach of the year in 1981 for men and 2001 for women, 10 time County Coach of the Year. Medal Award given at the first World Tumbling Championships in London, England for dedication to the sport. Lastly, having the opportunity to coach Wes Suter(1988 Olympian)in his intermediate years and Dominique Dawes(1992 & 1996)