Gymnastics/Tumbling

Question
Hi, I just learned how to do a backbend kickover. Can you tell me the steps on how to do a backwalkover. Thanks

Answer
That all depends upon how hard you want to work., You can already do the scary part.

I can recommend that you do some training exercises that may help speed up your progress.
1.  A tight body drill will help you have better body control and make your skills easier.
2. lots of hand stand push-ups and plenty of stretching.
3. use a video camera to watch your progress it will help your brain see what you are doing wrong or right and correct more efficiently.Study several good walkovers on youtube by top gymnasts to help train your brain too.

Here are a couple of nice videos that also might help you as well.:

http://video.about.com/gymnastics/Quick-Tip--How-to-Do-a-Back-Walkover-With-a-Sp

http://video.about.com/gymnastics/How-to-Do-a-Back-Walkover.htm

They both have a lot of great pointers too.

Here is the tight body drill

1. Tight body drill.
This drill helps to get better control of your body and better feel for where it is. First Stretch you fingers toward the ceiling AND push up with your TOES Get a friend to push down on your fingertips to give you resistance Then feel how gradually ever muscle in between becomes tight. This feeling will help you learn to control your body. Once you begin to get more feeling of where your body is without having to think about it try the drill with your eyes closed to increase your feel but always work on the apparatus with them open. Also try to see how quickly you can get to an instant tight from a relaxed position. After that get a friend to apply resistance and lower and raise your arms down and back up the front keeping stretched, pay close attention to feel all the muscles in your body remain tight. Don't forget to have your friend give resistance up and down. This will teach you to have much better control even when you aren't reaching up.

Here is what I tell most gymnasts about Back walkovers:

I would recommend at least before you attempt each one until it becomes automatic, to do a tight body drill first to help you feel your body, a tight body is easier to control than a loose one and Think with your head and stretch with your arms!

Use a friend and a video camera if possible to monitor and spot your progress and safety, a padded roll also works well as a spotter if you can't find one, but most of all it is important to be strong and flexible. It takes lots of practice to perfect your body control.

I hope these tips help, keep me posted.
TF  

Gymnastics

Chris Eilertsen