Gymnastics/Flexibility improvement.

Dear Sir/Ma'am,
I really have one important question to ask you for my future. I am a Male.
I have a fitness goal for my future. Within next 6 year I want to be a Martial Artist, Parkourer, and a Gymnast.And there's a common distinction between all three subjects which is flexibility. Presently I am 18 years old and I will be starting to learn Martial Arts from next year. But in this one year gap I want to really be able to get very fit and flexible.
I want to be very flexible like a Gymnast. In a way that I can play with my body and I can bend it the way I want to.
But I am really confused.....:(
There are so many suggestions out there to increase flexibility but what should I follow. Can you suggest me how and what should I start today to be something tomorrow?
Which exercise should I do?
When shall I do?
How long should I DO IT? And What should I eat in diet? ----

It is really really important for me. Your reply will be highly appreciated.

Hi Sangeet,
It is good to have fitness goals, I think it is beneficial for everyone.  Your training will change over time but in general you can take a look at this article about flexibility for some tips about increasing flexibility.  For your diet, you need to pay attention to how you feel after eating different types of foods in order to understand what your body needs as fuel at any given time.  The more you workout, the more your body will demand nutrient dense foods to recover quickly and feel good.

You might also take a look at my Tibetan Rites discussion for a general exercise routine to help you improve and maintain physical well being both now and when you begin your martial arts training.

Robert Davis

I can answer questions about technique, strength and endurance training, healing from injuries, and competitions. I can also answer questions from parents of gymnasts, as I have six children of my own now. I plan to write a freely downloadable ebook or guide soon, go to to tell me what you want help with!

I competed in gymnastics for 16 years, from age 8 to 24, the last six of those years on the Arizona State Men's Gymnastics Team ( After almost a 10 year hiatus I've returned to competition, see

I have a BSE and MS in Electrical Engineering from Arizona State University. During those 6 years I was a member of the Arizona State Men's Gymnastics Team as well.