Gymnastics/3/4 giant

I have been trying to get a swinging high bar pullover or 3/4 giant for a while and I can't get the idea of it.  Do you have any drills that might help me.  I tend to pull in on my shoulders too early.

Hi Mia,

Without being able to see you do the skill, I can only throw out a few suggestions that may or may not help.

My initial question is: Are you performing your tap wing correctly? Obviously, your coach would be the best one to answer this question.

And, do you have enough abdominal and hip flexor strength to perform the skill? Again, you might want to ask your coach to give you sets of exercises like leg lifts, sit-ups, and crunches to help develop your strength.

Hope this was helpful.

Coach Rick

Rik Feeney

I can answer questions regarding all levels of the sport of women's gymnastics, the business of gymnastics, and the marketing of gymnastics programs.

I am the author of "Gymnastics: A Guide for Parents and Athletes" currently being published by McGraw-Hill. I am also a ghostwriter and co-author of the Gymcert series of books "Levels 1-3 Gymnastics Coaches Certifications Manuals" for recreational gymnasts, and the "Levels 4 - 6 Skills and Drills" books as well as Safety Basics for Gymnastics Instructors. I have written several other books on the sport of gymnastics for Richardson Publishing, the latest of which is titled, "Back Handsprings: The Secret Techniques." Oh, and by the way, I was a competitive gymnast through high school and college (Temple University), gymnastics club owner for 10 years, and women's gymnastics coach for 30 years working with gymnasts at all competitive levels

USA Gymnastics National Writer's union Florida Writer's Association

USA Gymnastics magazine Technique magazine International Gymnast magazine several newspaper articles

Temple University - Health Physical Education, Recreation & Dance Norwich University - Bachelors of Arts in Writing & Literature

Several state and national level gymnastics champions in different systems of competition.

Past/Present clients
Gymnasts, coaches, and club owners nation-wide.