Gymnastics/jo judging

Question
My daughter is a level 8 gymnast.  Her coach likes to play a game where he scores all the girls routines and high score wins.  As level 8's the have a decent idea about how much to deduct for for skill errors. However her coach told the girls that judges can ADD 3 tenths to bar scores for great giants and stuck landings for double backs and that is why he gives the extra tenths to certain girls too.  My daughter is confused as she has never heard of this and neither have I for j.o. gymnasts.  (elite levels apparently do this as was announced at the Secret Classic)  Her coach insured her it was true because he learned about it at regional clinics. At J.O. meets can judges add tenths to gymnast's scores?

I understand that there is some decretion in the max deduction that can be taken...execution etc., but I've never heard of adding tenths."

Answer
Hi Chris,

Other than bonus that is available at level 9 or 10, JO gymnastics judging is negative.

This is available online at the usa gymnastics website under women's-optional- level 6-8 cheat sheet.

https://usagym.org/PDFs/Women/Rules/J.O.%20Code%20of%20Points/appndx08_L6-8cheatsheet2014.pdf

There is artistry and dynamic deductions which is taken if the gymnast is not artistic enough or dynamic enough...This would allow a differentiation in routines...but it is still a negative deduction.  One gymnast may get no dynamic deduction so given everything else the same...that gymnast's score will be up to 2/10's higher than her competitor. Artistry is and up to 3/10's deduction.

Hope this helps.

Pam

Gymnastics

Pam Rafe-Borges