Gymnastics/Daughter scared of squat on

My daughter is a level 4 and very strong on bars, with the exception of her squat on.   She is shared to ssh of doing it.   Last summer she learned it and did it with no problem.   Then in fall she just stopped doing it.   She scratched her first meet.   Over Christmas break she got it again and her coach thought that was it.   But every meet since she freaks herself out and has yet to do it in competition.   Or coach has tried everything she knows.... being patient and kind,  bring even more strict,  having her work with younger kids, having her work with older girls,  offering incentives.   She is out of ideas.  Do you have any ideas?  Thanks!

Hi Becky,
I can tell you are very concerned about your daughter's progress in gymnastics, and as a parent myself I can relate.  In situations like what your daughter is going through I think the most effective approach is to remove the pressure by replacing the skill with something else or removing it altogether from training and competitions.  When your daughter is ready to try it again she will do it on her own, and it will happen faster without the pressure of coaches, parents, and teammates watching her every move.

Robert Davis

I can answer questions about technique, strength and endurance training, healing from injuries, and competitions. I can also answer questions from parents of gymnasts, as I have six children of my own now. I plan to write a freely downloadable ebook or guide soon, go to to tell me what you want help with!

I competed in gymnastics for 16 years, from age 8 to 24, the last six of those years on the Arizona State Men's Gymnastics Team ( After almost a 10 year hiatus I've returned to competition, see

I have a BSE and MS in Electrical Engineering from Arizona State University. During those 6 years I was a member of the Arizona State Men's Gymnastics Team as well.