Gymnastics/gymnastics fear of going backwards

Question
Im doing a project at school about your passion. I am a level 7 gymnast and i want to know why people have fears of going backwards in gymnastics. THX

Answer
Hello Maggie,
         I am very glad to help you.  I personally believe that there is not a definable reason people can be apprehensive or nervous in going backwards.  I believe that athletes will have unique reasons because of life experiences.  For me, as soon as I could imagine the surface/environment behind me I was no longer nervous of the process.  Professional sports psychologists say that creating mental imagery of a doubtful skill can help in the ownership of that skill.  I truly accept that.  I remember having trouble in a backward trick and I could not imagine doing it.  The moment my brain could imagine it was the moment I could then physically perform it.  Prior to that moment, I practiced mentally many, many times.  The human brain is so supportive of our goals and is an integral part of the confidence formula.  I hope I have not confused you.  You asked a very good question and this is the way I understand it from my experiences personally and from coaching.  I wish you the best in your report.  
Take Care -- Jack Leonard

Gymnastics

Jack Leonard