I'm working on my backhandspring on a cheese mat and over the Boulder. I keep getting the correction that I need to push my hips out and make the backhandspring longer. What should I do to fix the problem? Perhaps drills?

Sounds like a tight body drill would help your control as well as learning to sit with 90 degree angles at the waist & knees.
The tight body drill is a good way to learn easier control over your body. Stand on your toes with your arms stretched over your head as if you were trying to touch the ceiling. When you feel your whole body tighten you are probably there, you might also want to have a tall friend supply some resistance and balance to aid in your drill, by giving you their hand to push up with your fingertips. Now without getting loose lower your arms to your side.  You should feel your body from fingertips to toes. This should give you better control if you try this before you do your handsprings. Feeling where you are always gives you better control.

Learning to sit for standing handsprings is also very important for acquiring enough momentum to do a good handspring. Use the tight body drill & video yourself sitting in a chair keeping your knees over your feet and your shoulders over your hips. At the moment you loose your balance and fall backwards into the chair, you should ya row your arms back (keeping tight arms) and jumping at the same time. Your arms rotate past your ears (vertical)(also remember to not throw your head back) and keep your eyes open. You can practice sitting into a  chair without throwing your arms but paying attention to the timing. Your coach should spot you on the cheese mat when you decide to throw, & don't use the chair. Holding your head and not throwing it back will help you have more power.
The tight body drill should help you feel your hips & you also should practice jumping

Hopefully this helps you feel where your hips are and have better control. P.S. Don't forget to use the VIDEO!
Also study Lots of standing back hand springs on u tube & see how your video compares.
Hope these tips help.

Chris Eilertsen

Trampoline, how it affects Ariel Skills for Diving, Wake & snow Boarding, Ariel Skiing, Sky Diving, Pole vaulting, High Jumping, Tumbling, Double Mini, Power Tumbling, Cheerleading, football, Martial Arts, Movie stunts, and Gymnastics.

36 years on the trampoline 5 time National Champion 3rd in the World championships in 72 Nissen World cup champion in 75, World Spaceball Champion 79 Masters National Champion 98. All around NCAA Gymnast U of M and MSU. Cheerleader MSU and Sky diver ( RW on my 5th jump 6 man) and track High Jump, Pole Vaulting (Tied School record with 8 jumps). Diving State level and professional High diver 110 ft., Wrestling, City Champion Karate 7 years trained under Bill Wallace and Trained Several World Champions in Trampoline.

Liscened Mortgage Broker, Former AAU, USTA, USGF, FIT 8 years international Judges Certificate.USGA member Member # 2 of the Trampoline Safety Certification

Haven't Written.
Current Activities
Photography, Mortgage, Nanoplatelett devlopment, Custom safety surfaces, Private Lessons, Sales, Advertising, Writing, and Seeking Venture Capital for Zero Pollution Motors & MDI

BA MSU 79, Studied U of M and Universitat Wein.

Many National and World commpetitions 10 years AAU all american.

Zeno Steiger, and Kurt Bachler for Ruth Keller, Dr. Rugheimer For Mary and Mac, Trained Frankie Bare for the worlds first tripple tripple on Skis, Dave Ransom to Work with Stuart and Renee' and Ann Thompson.