Gymnastics/Tumbling

Question
I'm working on my backhandspring and my legs are bent and there slow. Do u have any tips on making my backhandspring straight and powerful?

Answer
Hello Ashliegh,
         I am very happy to help you.  Bent legs in a back handspring usually means the gymnast needs to strengthen their back.  Pulling longer legs over takes more strength…..just like holding a broom stick by the handle (out stretched) vs.  holding the broom stick at the middle.  The exercises I suggest are tic tocs.  You need to do 4 sets of 15 repetitions every day.  You should keep a journal to record your progress.  Oh, after a month….I would add 5 to the repetitions.    If you are unable to complete the assignment then allow a higher surface for your first foot to be on.  This will be less demanding in the exercise and allow the back to continue exercising.  I wish you the very best and take care – Jack Leonard

Gymnastics

Jack Leonard