i have been learning about strength training.I keep noticing and finding out how the core is really important evenin like pullups chin ups etc.i was told to get good at the hollow position agymnastics does one start and get progressively better at this?Is this like a plank just hold the poition and do reps?Can you shed some light on this and what is the basic hold?i think i found some stuff on youtube about it

Hi N,
Yes strengthening your core will help you to perform more difficult skills easier and will help you feel better in your daily life.  

When you start out with hollow body position you could lay on your back then round your back so your shoulders are off the ground, bend your knees so your knees are above your hips and your shins are horizontal, and bring your hands down just above your hips so your arms are horizontal.  You can practice holding this for awhile until you are ready to start extending your legs and bringing your arms up.

Robert Davis

I can answer questions about technique, strength and endurance training, healing from injuries, and competitions. I can also answer questions from parents of gymnasts, as I have six children of my own now. I plan to write a freely downloadable ebook or guide soon, go to to tell me what you want help with!

I competed in gymnastics for 16 years, from age 8 to 24, the last six of those years on the Arizona State Men's Gymnastics Team ( After almost a 10 year hiatus I've returned to competition, see

I have a BSE and MS in Electrical Engineering from Arizona State University. During those 6 years I was a member of the Arizona State Men's Gymnastics Team as well.