HTML/What's the easiest way to learn code ?

Dear Mr Stephenson,
I'd like to know what is the easiest/simplest way to learn basic programing/code...
I've been reading through Terry McNavage's "JavaScript for Absolute Beginners" and got lost at a point where I couldn't find the blank HTML document to download and open in FireFox so I could use FireBug to code...
Is there perhaps another way ?
P.S I have absolutely no experience in programing whatsoever...this is literally my very first time.  :)

Everyone learns differently, so what I might think is the easiest might not work best for you.  That said, a few resources I suggest: - Not free, but their video tutorials are an excellent way to learn.  The instructors are great and very knowledgeable and they have series for all skill levels, so as you advance this resource can still work for you.

Scratch ( While designed for kids, Scratch can be a great way to understand the basic programming concepts before you jump into a "real language".  You can do some pretty neat things in Scratch.

A course at your local college - many even offer night classes

Harvard's Computer Science Course ( Don't let the fact this is a Harvard course scare you.  It's available FREE online and is a great programming introduction.

If you specifically want JavaScript training, the book "JavaScript for Dummies" is a good starting point.

Dan Stephenson

I am a professional Web Designer & Developer. I work with HTML, XHTML and CSS every day, and would be glad to help with your problems, and answer your questions.

Experience in the area I have been a web designer/developer since 1997. I started developing websites with HTML 3.2 and using tables for layout. In 2006 I received my degree in Computational Media, and now work full time as a Webmaster and Interactive Media Author, as well as teaching continuing education courses on HTML, CSS and ActionScripting at my local college. Currently I design with XHTML and CSS - no tables and much cleaner and more accessible code and allows the designer more freedom and flexibility than tables.

New Media Production & Design Degree - SAIT Polytechnic