You are here:

HUD Properties/Interested in renting out apartment type homes


Hi Mr. Propp! I don't know if I'm in the right location to ask this particular question  so please redirect me if necessary. I am interested in the future in owning real estate property and renting out something similar to apartment homes at an affordable rate to anyone. I am not interested in section 8 or anything like that. I would like it to be available to anyone with the income and they can pay weekly or monthly. I live in Mobile, AL and there is a similar establishment here called Peach Place Inn that does something similar to what I would like. My main issue is I don't have any experience in this field and don't actually know where to start and how I should begin researching. I have my Bachelor's degree in Psychology and in next week will have my Master's in Information Systems and Technology, so obviously that is far from the field I would like to pursue. I am a strong Christian so think I would like it to be a bit more ministry focused. I am just not interested in charging ridiculous rates for people to just live somewhere decent but of course, I don't want to get in the hole with trying to be too nice either. I was looking at hotel properties in Mobile that are closed for whatever reason. I would like to buy something like that and fix it back up to make a suitable establishment. In your opinion, how should I go about doing this?? What kind of licenses or certifications would I need (besides the obvious business license)? How do I find out what is the minimum amount I could charge tenants?? From research on other businesses, I believe for anything you have to charge a said amount which I didn't know until a couple years ago. Thank you for any and all assistance.

Let me say right off the bat that I am not a commercial real estate expert and that is where I think you should go after this message.  It sounds like you have an admirable plan and I congratulate you and wish you best of luck.

Typically multiple family dwellings do require alot of hoop jumping.  Your City will have licensing requirements and that means the dwelling(s) must meet Code.  A commercial real estate person should be able to give you local rents and an idea of requirements.  I would contact the local board of Realtors and ask for a list of agents versed in rental investment properties.  You can also check the internet.

Best wishes,


HUD Properties

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Steele V. Propp


I can answer most foreclosure related questions. Buying, selling, the process of foreclosure, Loss Mitigation, Short Sales, etc. Both for HUD and VA homes as well as conventional foreclosures. I work 100% in the Foreclosure arena, dividing my time equally between consumers going through foreclosure, people interested in buying foreclosures (investors and those looking for a home of their own for lesser cost), and with the lenders doing foreclosures. This unique three prong approach allows me to see all three sides of the typical foreclosure scenario. Our goal is to offer advice and create a win-win-win situation.


19 years of bank owned housing experience.

Money Magazine, Real Estate Today, Consumer Digest and many newpapers, regional and national.

Foreclosure Specialist

Past/Present Clients
GMAC Mortgage, Horizon Management, and 43 other lenders involved in the foreclosure process.

©2017 All rights reserved.