Hair Color/semi dyes root touch up only

Question
QUESTION: Hi Nick have natural dark brown hair..except my ends are old previous color. I wanted to color my hair so the colorist did a semi which was a nice gold brown color. It darkened my ends and added a little color to the top.  Now I want to color again and make it a little lighter in semi.  She said we will only touch up the roots so the rest of the hair won't look dark. ..but how do u only do the top of the hair and what about the rest?  She ssaid the roots will look slightly lighter which will make the overall hair look lighter...I just don't know how that works with semi dyes and will that look nice or weird color...Thank you

ANSWER: Hi Ilene,

Semi-Permanent color has no lifting action. There is no way that you will be able to lighten your base color (Roots) by using a product which cannot lift hair. In order to make hair lighter, you must resort to permanent hair color, there is no other alternative.
I see no reason as to how she will color your base using a semi-permanent product and expect any kind of lifting action. (Lifting in this case means "to go lighter") It's just not possible. Therefore, she is wrong in telling you that the roots will look slightly lighter. If I had a picture of you and your hair I can possibly give you a formula, but let me stress this point....SEMI color cannot make hair lighter, it is used to stain and tone previously colored hair, period:)

Good Luck

Nick

QUESTION: Hi nick I want to thank u again for all your wonderful help with the semi dye and I did have one more question...I'm getting my hair colored tonight with semi dye again but there is no hot water in the salon.  Can THE Color Be Affected By Washing It Out With Only Cold water? Will it leave color residue or not come out completely?   Thank u again.

Answer
Hi Ilene,

My goodness, no hot water? Oh well, cold water will do just fine as long as you are ok with it. If anything, it's even better. You see, when using dyes and rinsing and shampooing them out with hot water, it's really not the best thing anyway. The hot water opens your pores and it begins to remove some of the color from your hair, sometimes more than what we want.
Cold water will be great, and your hair will be shinier!
So....no worries, get colored and enjoy the brrrrrrr (cold) shampoo! LOL!

All the best.......

Nick

Please don't forget to rate my responses...it's important to us!

Hair Color

The PsyCOLORgist