Hair Color/Purple hair colour

I am an Asian with naturally black hair. I am 39 years old and have some grey hair. I want to have purple hair. Not the light and bright purple but a dark and deep purple which will cover the grey hair and give the black hair a deep purple tinge. If you can help me find a way to do it at home, I will be very grateful.

Hi Ayesha,

Sorry for the delay on getting back to you. Was out of town on biz and not available. Anyway, when you say purple, it needs to be defined. Can it be done at home? Yes and no. This is a tricky service. Since you have naturally black hair, most purple dyes are stains and not permanent colors. They won't deposit on black hair so that they can be seen, unless, you remove some of your natural tones using a lightener and then deposit the purple over it. However, you can still put onto your hair and that will give the gray hairs the purple you want. Try looking at a product called "Vivids" by Prevana. It is only a stain and will eventually come out of the hair in just a few washings.
This way, you will not harm your hair and you can just apply this shade and when it begins to fade, you just keep reapplying....easy to use!

Good Luck

Hair Color

The PsyCOLORgist

Ready to color your hair, and don't have a single clue on how to start? I will try my best to guide you in your new or old hair color venture, whether you are going to a professional or trying to do it yourself. If you are going to see a professional I can help by answering all questions regarding your initial consultation, what to say to your colorist, how to describe what your wishes are and well talk about realistic expectations. Everything starts with a good conversation; learn how to discuss hair color in terms which make sense to a colorist.

I started as a young assistant at Vidal Sassoon in 1982 and got the training that has always sustained me throughout my professional life. I first became involved in hair color in the mid 80s when I realized that my passion for painting was a vehicle understanding hair color. I joined the industry of hair color teaching and began a career as a platform artist in 1991. The next 25 years, took me across the USA and North America doing all hair shows, demonstrations on both hair cutting and hair coloring. I went from regional education, to national, eventually crossing into North America and being promoted as the USA Artistic Director for It&lyhairfashion, N.A. My hair salon is an award-winning destination for hair expertise, and I am proud to say that I have one of the most elite hair expert teams working for me.

Modern Salon Magazine Salon and Day Spa Westchester Magazine

Involved in hair shows and teaching professional hairdressers for over 25 years.

Best Hair Colorist of 2011 awarded by "Westchester Magazine" in New York. Featured in Modern Salon as one of the top national hair colorists.