Hair Color/Changes

I want this color
I want this color  

My hair now
My hair now  
I need help!! For years I've been going to the hair salon and letting the lady add highlights and low lights. Usually a blonde color and a darker color. For the past year, it was 2 shades of blonde. My natural hair color is a dark kinda ashy blonde (ugly color!) Anyway, I was thinking about doing an ombre color with dark on top and blonde on the bottom thinking I could maintain the top portion myself.

With that all being said, a lady I work with who used to do hair said she could do the ombre. (She couldn't at all). She added bleach and a dark brown in chunks, I think it was a level 4 or 5. She left it all on my head for about 30 minutes. She damaged my hair to where it's frizzy. I've had it trimmed since then. Since that made it look so terrible and I was too embarrassed to go back to my hair dresser that I colored my hair myself all the brown color. (I don't remember if it was a 4 or 5 brown). Not liking that, I tried to add a few highlights myself with bleach which turned a caramel color. I hated that too, so I went to Sally's and have been using the Intense Red Brown level 4 with a developer of 20. My roots are slightly lighter and it gets darker at the ends. Ever time I have colored my hair, I use a Protein filler to try not to damage my hair.  

Now, I am hating my husband wants me back to where I was... But I would rather have a nice Honey Gold Blonde. I'm going to attached an image of what I want to go to and what I look like now. I really want to do this without damaging my hair. I want to let my hair grow long but I'm afraid that I'm killing my hair with all this hair coloring...

Please help!

Hi Susie

I want you to immediately put down the bottle and stop doing your own hair! LOL!....You are all over the place and the damage which you are running away from will just be embracing you further. All this going back and forth will just take you away from any goals, and closer to damaged tresses.

Often on here I give advice on "how to" do it yourself. But this is simply not the case. You now seriously need to go and see a professional, but not just a "lady", I mean a serious colorist, and there are plenty in your state. In order to achieve the color you want, you have to remove all the unwanted tones, but as you do that, the red will be exposed and fillers and toners will play a major role. I cannot give you formulation since it is impossible to know how much red will be exposed by the hair that is lightened to achieve the golden color you seek. One would have to be there to see it and create balanced results as they go.

However, just so you know, the service begins by lightning the ends, into the mid-shaft and finally and lastly...the roots. There are many different de-colorizers which can be used, while using a conditioner with protein in your hair sounds like a good idea, even there you must be careful. Did you know that if you use a protein on your hair, and you sit under a heated dryer, it will harden and can absolutely break your hair off. Most people don't know this, and do more damage while they think they are doing something good.

So, you can most certainly achieve the results you want, you are a very pretty girl and make that husband happy....and yourself too. But trust me, this is not a "self service" job, unless you want more trouble and you'll be writing to me for the next 6 months.

Take this history to a new hair colorist and begin by having it done by a serious professional, if you continue on your own, while it does seem you have some decent color knowledge, you will most certainly destroy your beautiful hair. I'm giving you sound advice here, and I wish I could guide you all the way, but I'm afraid we will just get into more trouble.

So you still might ask... what is the bottom line here? Simply stated, If you lighten your own hair you will need different strengths of de-colorizer, it will take time and patience, the hair then must be filled (Do you know what a "filler" is...Google it and it will explain what a filler is) and finally toned to the desired shade...not a home job, trust me. So.....stop killing and start loving your hair!

Good luck

Nick...aka...The PsyCOLORgist!

Hair Color

The PsyCOLORgist

Ready to color your hair, and don't have a single clue on how to start? I will try my best to guide you in your new or old hair color venture, whether you are going to a professional or trying to do it yourself. If you are going to see a professional I can help by answering all questions regarding your initial consultation, what to say to your colorist, how to describe what your wishes are and well talk about realistic expectations. Everything starts with a good conversation; learn how to discuss hair color in terms which make sense to a colorist.

I started as a young assistant at Vidal Sassoon in 1982 and got the training that has always sustained me throughout my professional life. I first became involved in hair color in the mid 80s when I realized that my passion for painting was a vehicle understanding hair color. I joined the industry of hair color teaching and began a career as a platform artist in 1991. The next 25 years, took me across the USA and North America doing all hair shows, demonstrations on both hair cutting and hair coloring. I went from regional education, to national, eventually crossing into North America and being promoted as the USA Artistic Director for It&lyhairfashion, N.A. My hair salon is an award-winning destination for hair expertise, and I am proud to say that I have one of the most elite hair expert teams working for me.

Modern Salon Magazine Salon and Day Spa Westchester Magazine

Involved in hair shows and teaching professional hairdressers for over 25 years.

Best Hair Colorist of 2011 awarded by "Westchester Magazine" in New York. Featured in Modern Salon as one of the top national hair colorists.