Hair Color/What is the color?

QUESTION: Do you know the color of Angelina Jolie's hair in the film 'Wanted'? The Yes magazine said it's golden brown but as i search the internet about the said color, results doesn't seem the same with Angie's. Here's a photo. Cause i'm planning to have the same color.I don't know if these photos have the same color.

The top picture absolutely shows a golden brown color, in colorist lingo I would guess a level 5/6. The bottom picture is the same level, however there seems to be more warmth in this color. That means that it reflects a bit more of a reddish tone. I would stick to a golden brown if you are hoing to buy it yourself. But be careful, you need to realize that it's your natural tones plus what the dye. Stick to a low developer as well, no more than 20 volume. A professional would look at your hair color and make a pretty good determination. This is not a hard clot to achieve. Good luck!

QUESTION: Uhm, my hair color tone is like level 2. should i apply a medium golden brown or light?

I'm surprised on how you rated my answer. If I wasn't clear, perhaps I can try again. But as I read back my answer, it is basic color knowledge and any professional would tell you I answered you correctly, I wouldn't want to confuse you.

Anyhow, let's try this again. You followed up with a very important item which you left out in the first part of the question. You say you are a level 2, then I am to assume you understood when I spoke about levels of color. Is your hair virgin, or pre-colored? Depending on that the formula would be different. Level 2 is almost black, I also noticed that you are Philippino, so we are to assume that your hair is quite dark. Do you have any grays? And lastly.....are you going to try to attempt this or is a professional going to do your hair?

QUESTION: Hi Nick, your question to my first question wasn't that clear because i'm not knowledgeable about hair stuffs. You know, like the term "volume", never thought that that can be used in hair talk. I only did a little research that's why i learned about my hair color tone. Didn't i rate you high?

I colored my hair before maybe twice. I do not have grays. I prefer buying a hair colourant.

Good morning,

The way you rated my "knowledgeability" (9) shows that I am the one who knows less, not you...LOL! The rating was not asking how much knowledge you have, but how much I do. In regards to clarity, you rated me an 8, I was very clear, I guess you didn't understand what I was saying since you were the one who is not clear on the subject. I learned a valuable lesson here, I have to realize that I am responding to folks who sometimes don't really know much about hair color. I always get rated a 10 on everything, but In any case, I am here to help you.

Anyway, be careful in picking colors, since your hair is very dark if you buy a golden brown color to look like Angelina Jolie's hair, you will wind up with much lighter roots than the rest of your hair. When working with dark hair, especially hair that has only been colored twice, you need to first lighten the hair 1 inch away from the scalp, you apply your hair color and leave on as prescribed by the instructions of what you are using, after you reapply fresh color to the roots to match your results.

Ely, hair coloring is a science and not just an art, if you are not sure, I would suggest using a professional at least the first couple of times. Let them get you to where you want to be and than try going off on your on. But since you know very little about this field, I would be very careful in doing your own.

Have a great day!

Hair Color

The PsyCOLORgist

Ready to color your hair, and don't have a single clue on how to start? I will try my best to guide you in your new or old hair color venture, whether you are going to a professional or trying to do it yourself. If you are going to see a professional I can help by answering all questions regarding your initial consultation, what to say to your colorist, how to describe what your wishes are and well talk about realistic expectations. Everything starts with a good conversation; learn how to discuss hair color in terms which make sense to a colorist.

I started as a young assistant at Vidal Sassoon in 1982 and got the training that has always sustained me throughout my professional life. I first became involved in hair color in the mid 80s when I realized that my passion for painting was a vehicle understanding hair color. I joined the industry of hair color teaching and began a career as a platform artist in 1991. The next 25 years, took me across the USA and North America doing all hair shows, demonstrations on both hair cutting and hair coloring. I went from regional education, to national, eventually crossing into North America and being promoted as the USA Artistic Director for It&lyhairfashion, N.A. My hair salon is an award-winning destination for hair expertise, and I am proud to say that I have one of the most elite hair expert teams working for me.

Modern Salon Magazine Salon and Day Spa Westchester Magazine

Involved in hair shows and teaching professional hairdressers for over 25 years.

Best Hair Colorist of 2011 awarded by "Westchester Magazine" in New York. Featured in Modern Salon as one of the top national hair colorists.