Hair Color/grey hair

Question
QUESTION: Hi,
  I am 60 and since my 50s my hair has looked like a Palamino pony with patches of grey, red, blond and brown.  I used hair dyes for years but they only lasted a week or so and it was back.  
  Now my hair is mostly white with ugly patches of darker colors.  I have given up trying to keep it blond or brown.  What I want to do now is have all my hair white or grey.  But I can't find any products like the bluing they used to use years ago.  Can you tell me what I can do to get all my hair looking white or grey?

ANSWER: Hi Bridget,

You sound like many of my clients:) Ok, first you can find any product on the face of the earth by going to the internet. Here's one of my favorite which I like for you, it's called "Shimmer Lights". It's a great shampoo to keep the gray and white hair from looking yellowish and dull.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2/175-8907025-3715241?url=search-alias%3D

Now, let's go to school here. You can only get the hair to do what the hair will do. It's obvious that where there is color, or as you say, "patches of red, blonde and brown", that there is nothing else you can do. By using a blue or violet shampoo, you are cutting down on the warmth of the hair, but remember, it's all temporary.

I am curious as to what type of hair color you were using that in just a week oxidized out of your hair. Perhaps it was just a rinse, which would make sense since they only last a few shampoos. If you actually were to use permanent dyes or even highlight your hair with a professional lightening product, your results will last weeks....but let's keep in mind that we will see in just a couple of weeks the re-growth, since most people can grow 1/4 to 1/2 inch a month, however,the hair that has been colored will last, and last:)

So let's recap, if you do nothing else and just use the Shimmer Lights shampoo, at best, it will help your gray and white hair looking good!

Please don't hesitate to e-mail me as often as you wish, this is what I do on here. I sincerely wish you all the best!

All the best from NYC......Nick Trombetta

QUESTION: Since you can get anything on the internet can you recommend a permanent hair dye that would make all my hair just white or grey?  I can find nothing in the stores.

Answer
Hi Bridget....this is the million $$ question which is often asked. There is nothing on the market that can do that. Any product would simply lift the hair color that is not white or gray and create a mess of brassy tones. This is strictly hair color 101...just enjoy your beautiful hair, be thankful you have it, and trust me....I am telling you the ultimate truth😘

Nick

Hair Color

The PsyCOLORgist