Hair Color/Hair Color Similarity

Question
Is Revlon's Colorsilk 34 Deep Burgundy the same color as Clairol's Hydrience 34 Tropic Burgundy?

Answer
Hi Chris,

As a professional colorist I have never found two similar shades from different manufacturers to be the exact same color. The similarity that these two products share is that they are a Level 3 color and they are both in the Plum family. Level 3 is in the dark brown category.

I have done some research for you on both of these products and looked at the professional manufacturer specs for each. Revlon states that their product is ammonia-free and uses silk proteins. While I did not find that Clairol Hydrience is ammonia free, it advertises as a permanent product.

While both color products advertise  their silky shiny finish, they are different in chemical compounds, by that token alone, they could not possibly be the same color. Therefore I would advise to be wise and test strand the product if you are not sure. Apply a small amount of color on a 1 inch square strand somewhere where it would be less noticeable. Your eye can better give you the true opinion as to wether you like the color or not.

The one thing in your question that is the missing piece of the puzzle, is if you have gray hair or not. As I am sure you know, this would make a big difference in the results.

Also keep this in mind, manufacturers use numbers to identify level and tonality, and while two colors may have the same number, as in this case, it does not mean that they are exactly the same, but it does mean that they are within the same color family. Always be mindful of the presence of ammonia. When you are not sure, look on the back of the box and you will find an (800) number that will allow you to reach the manufacturer to ask 2 very important questions:

1) Is this an ammonia free color?

2) If you advertise this as ammonia free, and you state that it is permanent, what gives the product lifting action and depositing action?

Since one states that it has no ammonia and the other one makes no claims on the ammonia issue, the results will not only be different in the lifting of your own natural tones, but in the deposit factor of the dye itself.

I hope this doesn't sound so confusing, but if you need me to further answer anything, before you rate my answer, hit me up again!

All the best,

Nick Trombetta

Hair Color

The PsyCOLORgist