Hair Color/Died blonde to light brown

Hi! I died my hair with medium brown color. Then I wanted to go back to blond/lighter brown hair again. I went to a hair salon they used a kind of discoloration (not bleach) and I got a mix of blond brown and red. Then they toned my hair with a light blonde color (#10), and now I got a mix of blonde, brown and yellow. It does not look that bad, but I don't like it. I would rater go back to brown. So can I die my hair with light golden brown, without looking awful? I been searching around, and found out that I should use a more golden brown than a ash color first, so my hair won't become green. And then if I color it with a light golden brown, use a ash color afterwards to correct if I have any red left in my hair?
I wonder if that sounds good or would end up not looking good?

Hi Ingrid, much going on, I would almost tell you that you should really seek out a professional with good color knowledge. I wish I could see and feel your hair, it's easier to be on target with my answer.

However, here's what I think, if the salon gave you hair with red and gold in it, my bet is that they used some stripping form of product which may contain bleach, even if a low percentage developer was used. You say, "I would rater go back to brown." So why not use a demi-permanent or toner that is a med/brown and just stop trying to use anything in it with gold.  If you color with a golden brown tone, and than put an ash on top it, I see your results going nowhere to your target.

Here's an idea, use a neutral med brown (Not gold) shade and add a touch of ash to it, by mixing the two, you will get a much more natural brown which you seek. Try 3/4 Natural Med/Brown and 1/4 Light Ash Brown, this way your hair will not come up too dark. These shades should be colors which are NOT PERMANENT in nature. Look for colors that say, Toners or Demi.

All the best

Nick Trombetta

Hair Color

The PsyCOLORgist

Ready to color your hair, and don't have a single clue on how to start? I will try my best to guide you in your new or old hair color venture, whether you are going to a professional or trying to do it yourself. If you are going to see a professional I can help by answering all questions regarding your initial consultation, what to say to your colorist, how to describe what your wishes are and well talk about realistic expectations. Everything starts with a good conversation; learn how to discuss hair color in terms which make sense to a colorist.

I started as a young assistant at Vidal Sassoon in 1982 and got the training that has always sustained me throughout my professional life. I first became involved in hair color in the mid 80s when I realized that my passion for painting was a vehicle understanding hair color. I joined the industry of hair color teaching and began a career as a platform artist in 1991. The next 25 years, took me across the USA and North America doing all hair shows, demonstrations on both hair cutting and hair coloring. I went from regional education, to national, eventually crossing into North America and being promoted as the USA Artistic Director for It&lyhairfashion, N.A. My hair salon is an award-winning destination for hair expertise, and I am proud to say that I have one of the most elite hair expert teams working for me.

Modern Salon Magazine Salon and Day Spa Westchester Magazine

Involved in hair shows and teaching professional hairdressers for over 25 years.

Best Hair Colorist of 2011 awarded by "Westchester Magazine" in New York. Featured in Modern Salon as one of the top national hair colorists.