Hair Color/hair color

Hi Nick,
I used to do a demi color wella it was 7/3 and another color. It was the first time in a year that I colored it.  I thought it was dark so last month we did permanent color same brand wella I think she used level 6 and we just touched up the roots which was a nice brown with gold in it.  I noticed after I cut my hair that it looks so dark my hair and people ask me if I made it dark brown. ..If I touch my roots up again will it make my hair look lighter again?  Could it be that we only touched up the roots and now that my roots grew out so did the permanent color giving the illusion of darkness. Thank you again for all your wonderful help!

Hi Ilene, please forgive me for taking this long to answer, I was away on business and just got back to a computer with so many e-mails to answer. Ok, in order for me to give a great answer and a proper assessment to the problem, I need all the necessary information, since I cannot see your color. Let's begin and break down your problem:

1- You never told me the natural color of your hair or if you have any gray.
2- I am assuming you have gray since you were able to get coverage with a level 7 color
3- You stated, "I used to do a demi color wella it was 7/3 and another color"...What is the other color?
4- If you know she was using a 7/3, why did you think she now used a level 6 color, and was it permanent or demi?
5- In the end you make a mention of permanent color, here's where you lost me.

What did she use? If your color came up dark it was the choice of shade. If she used permanent color, what was the Volume of developer. In the end, describe for me your hair, tell me a target shade and I will do my best to give you more help. Based on your information,I will guess that you should go back to a level 7, and maybe even use permanent with 20 volume peroxide. Hit me back and answer some of my questions...or even send me a picture of your hair and what you want to look like. I will be happy to answer you some more.

All the best

Hair Color

The PsyCOLORgist

Ready to color your hair, and don't have a single clue on how to start? I will try my best to guide you in your new or old hair color venture, whether you are going to a professional or trying to do it yourself. If you are going to see a professional I can help by answering all questions regarding your initial consultation, what to say to your colorist, how to describe what your wishes are and well talk about realistic expectations. Everything starts with a good conversation; learn how to discuss hair color in terms which make sense to a colorist.

I started as a young assistant at Vidal Sassoon in 1982 and got the training that has always sustained me throughout my professional life. I first became involved in hair color in the mid 80s when I realized that my passion for painting was a vehicle understanding hair color. I joined the industry of hair color teaching and began a career as a platform artist in 1991. The next 25 years, took me across the USA and North America doing all hair shows, demonstrations on both hair cutting and hair coloring. I went from regional education, to national, eventually crossing into North America and being promoted as the USA Artistic Director for It&lyhairfashion, N.A. My hair salon is an award-winning destination for hair expertise, and I am proud to say that I have one of the most elite hair expert teams working for me.

Modern Salon Magazine Salon and Day Spa Westchester Magazine

Involved in hair shows and teaching professional hairdressers for over 25 years.

Best Hair Colorist of 2011 awarded by "Westchester Magazine" in New York. Featured in Modern Salon as one of the top national hair colorists.