Hair Color/My dyed blonde hair is turning orange after just one day.

Question
QUESTION: I have brown hair and got half of it dyed blonde with an ombre. It looked great when I left the salon. Now just two days later I woke up and noticed there was an underlying brassy tone. How did this happen after just TWO days? I know you are supposed to use toner every once in a while after bleaching your hair, but I definitely didn't think 2 days would make a difference.

ANSWER: Hi Leeana,

Your hair was processed using a lightener to a level that exposed what we colorists call, "The Underlying Tone". In this case, it was processed to the orange stage. When they put a toner on it, it hid the orange giving you the illusion that you now had blonde, when in reality, underneath that was orange pigment. Be aware, lightening the hair from brown to a lighter color is not "coloring" hair, but rather, stripping it.

The toner did not hold for many reasons, I can only speculate. It would seem to me that your cuticle is not holding the toner because it may be slightly over processed and therefore color will not hold a blown out cuticle.

Try building your hair's porosity back up by going to a Sally's Beauty Supply and find a "Color Conditioner" that you like and start using that. When you use it every day, it will build your porosity back up, and the next time you tone your hair, the color will hold much better.

I hope this helped!

Nick

QUESTION: Thank you very much for your reply. I'm not sure why the toner didn't hold either because this was the first time I've bleached or even colored my hair so my hair was in pretty good condition. Would buying a toning shampoo/conditioner work to get it back to the color that i looked like the first day I got it? I was thinking of getting John Freida Sheer Blonde Color Renew Tone Restoring. I'm afraid to go back and get it corrected because I don't want my hair to be greatly damaged.

Answer
A color shampoo or conditioner doesn't contain any agents that would be harmful for your hair. It is definitely worth trying, and it has to make a difference. I would leave it in the first time as prescribed by the manufacturer, so follow the instructions to the note. Than, the next time you can increase it by 5 minutes longer. But, don't worry, there is no harm that can be done to the rest of your hair. The color product in the shampoo is called a "Direct Dye", and will only show up on pre-lightened hair.

Try it first, and than if you must, there is no harm in calling the salon and having them check out your hair. It's very possible that the solutions also rests with them, since they did it and can see and feel your hair.

I wish you the best!

Nick

Hair Color

The PsyCOLORgist