Hair Color/Going from dyed light brown hair to blonde again

Question
Hello,
I just have a few questions about if I should be going back to blonde from dyed light brown hair. My mums friend who used to be a hairdresser did 3/4 head foils in my hair about 8 months ago. I dyed over it about 3 months later using a home kit light brown colour as she moved away and I wasn't too keen at the time to go to the salon and get my regrowth done. When i visited a salon to get my hair cut a month later, it was in bad condition. The blonde had made my hair very knotty, the roots especially, and my light brown hair faded. The hairdresser from the salon did a deep treatment and gave me a good hair cut which dramatically helped, and also redyed it a medium brown colour. 2 months later, the colour has faded back to light brown. I do constant treatments and my roots are healthy now. The ends of my hair are a little dry but my next haircut i'm planning on cutting it a bit shorter. I think I have gotten my hair to a good condition. I would like to know whether it would be extremely damaging to my hair if i went blonde again, and whether it's advised given my past hair colours and texture. I would get the blonde done professionally at a salon this time, so they can make sure they do the least damage. I liked my hair a lot better blonde (even though at the end it got really dry, but I think I wasn't giving it as much TLC as I should have) and really do want to go back to blonde. I would be continuing my treatments I have been using that have been very effective. Thank you so much.

Answer
Hi Jessica,

The question can best be answered by the stylist who will do your hair, since they will be able to assess the quality of your hair. Inmy opinion from what you are telling me, it seems that you have had enough cutting that you have removed the hair which was previously colored.

Take into consideration, that the results from your roots to the mid-shaft might be different, and the reason for that is simple; The roots are virgin (since there is no color on them), and the rest of the hair, mid-shaft to the ends, is colored.

They must be careful that they don't give you a blonde highlights which would reflect brassy tones. Your hair stylist will be able to make a proper decision. However, it doesn't sound unrealistic to me, and certainly if done properly with the right products, damage can be kept almost at zero percent!

Jessica, just keep doing the treatments and DO take good care of your hair...in turn, it will take care of you and how you feel about yourself!

All the best to you "Down Under", from me in "The Big Apple"!

Cheers,

Nick

Hair Color

The PsyCOLORgist